Kevin Kee is a Partner of Karas LLP. He specialises in managing complex cross-border litigation from investigation through to trial and the enforcement of judgments.
Having acted in some of the largest corporate collapses in the Asia-Pacific region, Kevin has particular expertise in insolvency, fraud and professional negligence disputes.
Kevin combines a breadth of legal knowledge with clear-eyed thinking to find innovative solutions that advance his client’s interests. He has a keen interest in the use of technology to aid investigations.
Kevin is a Solicitor Advocate, having been granted Higher Rights of Audience for civil proceedings in Hong Kong.
Kevin joined Lipman Karas (now Karas LLP) in 2014 from Allen & Overy where he was a Consultant. He originally trained with Freehills (now Herbert Smith Freehills) and commenced his career in their Melbourne and Perth offices.
Kevin has extensive experience with commercial litigation projects arising from major corporate collapses, fraud and financial transactions. Examples of these projects include:
Representing a litigation trust created following the collapse and reorganisation of a former Canadian-listed company that purported to own forest assets in Mainland China, including pursuing litigation in various jurisdictions:
- Ontario proceedings against the main fraudster, the company’s former CEO, resulting in a US$2.6 billion judgment. Enforcement proceedings are on-going in various jurisdictions.
- Singapore proceedings against the valuer of the company’s forest assets, resulting in a settlement following a full trial.
- Hong Kong proceedings against the company’s auditors, which are on-going.
Represented the liquidators of a former Hong Kong-listed metal recycling company, in a claim against a global financial institution for sponsor misconduct relating to the company’s initial public offering.
- Partner, Karas LLP, 2021
- Partner, Lipman Karas, 2018
- Special Counsel, Lipman Karas, 2014
- Associate/Senior Associate/Consultant, Allen & Overy, 2008
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, Johnson Stokes & Master, 2007
- Articled Clerk/Solicitor, Freehills (now Herbert Smith Freehills), 2002
- Masters of Commercial Law, University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Economics/Bachelor of Laws, Monash University
- Solicitor Advocate, Hong Kong, 2014
- High Court of Hong Kong, 2008
- Supreme Court of Victoria, 2003