Ben Ridgeon is a Special Counsel of Karas So LLP. Ben is a dispute resolution solicitor with over 20 years of post-qualification experience.
In his career in private practice, Ben has handled a broad range of international and domestic disputes encompassing shareholder disputes, contractual and trade-related claims, construction disputes, enforcement proceedings, judicial reviews and professional liability claims. Ben also has a breadth of insolvency experience including with respect to director misfeasance claims, unfair preference claims, examination proceedings and financial assistance claims in the context of complex winding-up proceedings. He has acted in relation to a number of arbitration proceedings including arbitrations conducted under UNCITRAL rules, HKIAC and SIAC rules.
Prior to joining Karas So LLP, Ben held the position of Senior Vice President at HKEX where amongst other matters he oversaw the secretariat function of the Listing Review Committee with respect to suspension, cancellation and disciplinary hearings.
General Commercial and arbitration
- Hong Kong tycoon estate disputes – acting in relation to high value disputes encompassing a wide range of technical areas including trust law, fiduciary duties, corporate governance, company law, probate contract and minority shareholder protection.
- Acting for a commercial bank in a claim arising from the collapse of the Peregrine Group
- Acting for a Hong Kong listed company in relation to a High Court action for breach of contract arising from an alleged breach of FDA regulations in shipments to a major retailer in USA
- Acting for a major Hong Kong property developer in relation a litigation dispute in the High Court of Hong Kong and the PRC Supreme People's Court relating to recovery of an investment in a PRC financial institution worth over RMB4 billion.
- Acting for a Hong Kong listed company in an arbitration in Hong Kong under the UNCITRAL rules relating to an alleged breach of contract with respect to supply of emission complaint engines in the USA.
- Acting for a Hong Kong listed company in relation to a CIETAC arbitration in the PRC relating to the export and supply of faulty vehicles to the US market which were in breach of US EPA standards.
- Acting for vendors of an internet travel company in a substantial claim for earn out consideration brought in an SIAC arbitration in Singapore. This was the first funded arbitration in Singapore following recent legislative changes legalising third party funding of arbitrations.
Judicial Review and Regulatory
- Advising and acting for a prominent Hong Kong broadcasting company in relation to two complex judicial review proceedings concerning broadcasting licences.
- Acting for companies and individuals in relation to SFC investigations including handling dawn raids and execution of search warrants.
Insolvency and related shareholder actions
- Acting for a Hong Kong listed company and its group subsidiaries in over 9 related proceedings against a former group company in liquidation and its liquidators including claims relating to unfair preferences, financial assistance, S.221 examinations, directors' misfeasance, letter of credit fraud, defamation and contempt proceedings.
- Acting for the US trustee of an investment bank in close coordination with a number of group entities to obtain sanction of the Hong Kong High Court in relation to the release and distribution of approximately over HKD10 billion worth of Hong Kong held assets to the benefit of the group’s creditors worldwide.
- Advising the joint administrators of a UK AIM-listed airline logistics company and their Hong Kong representatives, in respect of the Hong Kong aspects of the administration (which involved a number of jurisdictions, including US, Ireland, England, Indonesia, Japan, Switzerland, Canada, Australia, Bahrain, China and El Salvador).
- Acting for the liquidators of a PRC/Hong Kong conglomerate and advising with respect to the beneficial realisation of property and assets of the group for distribution to shareholders as part of the settlement of a high value tycoon family dispute.
- Special Counsel, Karas So LLP (2023)
- Senior Vice President, Listing, HKEX (2020-2022)
- Of Counsel /Senior Associate, Norton Rose Fulbright Hong Kong (2009-2020)
- Associate, Barlow Lyde & Gilbert (2001-2009)
- Trainee solicitor, Barlow Lyde & Gilbert (1999-2001)
- Legal Practice Certificate (LPC), Manchester Metropolitan University
- Common Professional Examination (CPE) in Law, University of Sussex
- BSc Econ Hons Economics and International Politics, University College Wales
- Hong Kong, 2001
- England and Wales, 2002