Wenwen Chai is a Senior Associate of Karas So LLP. Her practice focuses on advising high net worth individuals, families and trustees on tax, stamp duty and succession planning matters.
She has experience in advising Hong Kong, PRC and international clients on the establishment and restructuring of family trust structures. She also regularly works with individual and corporate clients in the establishment and ongoing administration of charitable organisations.
Another part of her practice involves advising on Hong Kong profits tax and stamp duty issues in corporate transactions, in both advisory and contentious settings. In addition, she has considerable experience on advising US and PRC multinational companies on Hong Kong tax issues arising from employee share schemes.
Wenwen is fluent in English and Mandarin.
Advising a professional trustee on trust, Hong Kong stamp duty and profits tax issues arising from the administration of a trust, in particular a proposed settlement between the beneficiaries of the trust after many years of litigation.
PRC high net worth individual
Advising a PRC high net worth individual on his succession planning needs, including drafting wills, establishment of family trusts and charitable trusts as well as immigration matters.
High Net Worth Individual
Advising a high net worth individual on establishing a charitable organisation, obtaining tax exemption under the Inland Revenue Ordinance and dealing with ongoing compliance issues.
Acting for an individual taxpayer in an appeal to the Board of Review (Inland Revenue Ordinance) against salaries tax assessments involving cross-border employment issues.
Advising a Japanese conglomerate on Hong Kong tax and stamp duty issues arising from an intragroup restructuring involving share transfers, settlement of intercompany debts and corporate amalgamation.
Acting for a US conglomerate in a long-running Hong Kong profits tax audit concerning transfer pricing and anti-avoidance issues.
- Senior Associate, Karas So LLP, 2022
- Associate, Baker & McKenzie, 2016
- Trainee Solicitor, Baker & McKenzie, 2014
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Postgraduate Certificate in Laws, 2014
- College of Law, Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, 2013
- Australian National University, Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Economics, 2012
- Hong Kong, Feb 2017
- New South Wales, Australia, Nov 2016
Articles and Publications
- Co-author of the article Hong Kong Wealth Management - Latest Developments published on WealthBriefingAsia (7 July 2021)
- Co-author of the Hong Kong chapter of The Inward Investment and International Taxation Review